Fifteen Things the Media Loves
1. News - News is not just about information, it’s about
communicating value and benefit for their audience.
2. Brevity - State what you’re pitching and how it will
help their audience in a short, concise message.
3. Knowing Targets - Research the audience you want to
reach and the media that reaches that audience. Then
customize your pitch to the outlet you are pitching.
4. Relationships - Build a relationship rather than try
to sell a particular story.
5. Preparation - Do your homework and be ready to deliver
what the media needs. Have materials to send.
6. Broad Appeal - Create stories that reach a wide
variety of individuals with broad themes.
7. Ties - Try to tie your story into a larger news event -
if it makes sense to do so.
8. Experience - The media likes to know that other media
is paying attention to you so send articles and tape
9. Visualization - Use visual terms to create graphic
images and colorful anecdotes to illustrate your point.
10. Celebrity Tie-Ins - Products linked to celebrities
usually get more ink and air time. Is what you’re
speaking about something you can link to a celebrity?
If so, bring it up to the media.
11. Prompt Response - Time is of the essence, especially
to reporters on deadline. Send what the reporter needs
as quickly as possible.
12 Courtesy - Be polite and respectful to everyone,
receptionists included. Learn how to pronounce a
reporters name before you speak with them.
13 Visual Aids - Send charts, graphs, and photographs
that a reporter can use to quickly illustrate your
merit to an editor.
14 No Road Blocks - Smooth the way and remove all
obstacles that could derail or weaken your story.
15 A Pleasant Attitude - Be pleasant, enthusiastic and
professional. See yourself as a valuable resource and
become someone the media enjoys associating with.
An excerpt from the National Best-Seller GUERRILLA PUBLICITY: Hundreds of Sure-fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars by Rick Frishman, Jill Lublin and Jay Conrad Levinson.
see you at author101university in Las Vegas Oct 30-31